News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Council meets Tuesday due to holiday

Mike Conway

Post Date:01/17/2019

Parking issues, police HQ on Council agenda

The City Council will hear a presentation on parking requirements for accessory dwelling units and consider a professional services agreement regarding the future police headquarters at its Tuesday night meeting.

The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. in the Council Chamber on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, (City Hall), 678 W. 18th St. The Council is meeting Tuesday due to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday on Monday. The Council meets the first and third Monday of the month, except when there is a holiday, when it meets the following day.

Accessory dwelling units are small housing units on properties that were recently permitted under state law. Council is being asked to provide policy direction on parking requirements and owner occupancy requirements for the accessory dwelling units. Staff will incorporate the direction into a zoning ordinance.

Council is being asked to consider a $165,850 contract with LPA, Inc. to conduct a needs assessment for the future police headquarters. The current building was constructed in the 1950s and remodeled in the Seventies. It is too small for the existing Department, and staff is looking for a new facility for future growth.

Also on the agenda is a contract for $331,434.65 to FBD Vanguard Construction to install sidewalks at John Muir Elementary School on 25th Street from I to K streets.

The Council will meet at 5 p.m. for a closed session to confer with labor negotiators and property negotiators and counsel regarding anticipated litigation.

City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City's web site at Videos of previous meetings can be found at that link, and are tied to each agenda item. Those services are in addition to the live broadcast of the regular meeting on Comcast's Government Channel 96.

The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak forms are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council. Hmong and Spanish translators are available at all regular Council meetings.

Return to full list >>