News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The steps to holding an event on a City street

Michael Hren

Post Date:09/03/2019

What it takes to hold an event on a City street

Interested in having a street closure for your next event in Merced? Here are a few tips to get you going in the right direction!

  • Is your event a parade or a block party? If so, head on over to the Merced Police Department at 611 W. 22nd Street, because those use different applications that the Police Department coordinates.

  • Street closure applications must include general liability insurance and a certificate naming the City as additional insured. Insurance may be obtained with the City's insurance coordinator, who you can reach at 209-388-7100. You can instead get insurance through your own provider, but without insurance an application will be rejected.

  • The application also needs to include a detailed site plan. Not a professional surveyor or designer? No problem! You can still create an effective site plan by hand. See the image below for a great example of a hand-drawn site plan. A good site plan includes the street the closure will be on, the cross streets at either end, the name of the event, the date of the event, the time that the street will be closed including all setup and breakdown, and the time the event is planned to be open to the public. Depending on your event, you may have more items to show like vendor booths, waste receptacles, and barricades.

If you have any questions about the process, you can always call the Planning Department at 209-385-6858, email us at or stop by on the second floor of 678 W. 18th Street.

Return to full list >>