News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Consider considers honorary districts, gets Entry Sign update

Mike Conway

Post Date:09/01/2017

Entry signs, honorary district on Council agenda  An update on the Council's Entry Sign Contest and creating an Honorary Historic District are on the Merced City Council agenda for Tuesday night.

Council meetings are regularly scheduled for the first and third Mondays of the month. However, due to the Labor Day holiday the meeting will be held Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, (City Hall), 678 W. 18th St.

The City Council established a contest for people to design signs and create slogans for the entryways to the City at Highways 99, 59 and 140. They can also design an entry feature for the Downtown to greet visitors.

Winners are eligible for $300 prizes and multiple winners are possible. Complete details of the contest are available at the City's website, The deadline is Oct. 6. A Council subcommittee was created to oversee the contest and members will provide an update at the Tuesday meeting.

Neighbors in the Ragsdale neighborhood are asking the Council to create an Honorary Historic Neighborhood District for the area. The district would call attention to the history of the homes and the past and present homeowners.

The designation doesn't require any zoning changes and the supporters of the plan say it would not place any land use restrictions on the property owners in the district. There would be no changes in the property taxes.

City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City's web site at Videos of previous meetings can be found at that link, and are tied to each agenda item. Those services are in addition to the live broadcast of the regular meeting on Comcast's Government Channel 96.

The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak forms are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council.

Return to full list >>