News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Council holds public hearing on maintenance districts

Mike Conway

Post Date:02/03/2017

Special district elections, bridge contract on Council agenda

A public hearing on proposed maintenance district increases and the awarding of a contract for bridge repairs are on the agenda for Monday night's Merced City Council meeting.

The Council will meet at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, (City Hall) 678 W. 18th St.

Property owners are voting on fee increases in three maintenance districts: Oakmont No. 3, Campus North, and Mansionette. During the public hearing Monday night, people can comment on the proposed increases.

The increases are to cover the increased costs of providing services for the three districts. The ballots are due by Feb. 6 and the results of the election will be announced at the Feb. 21 Council meeting.

Council is being asked to award a contract to Viking Construction Company of Rancho Cordova for $2,716,573 for the repair of the G and M Street bridges. The other bidder on the project was Myers & Sons Construction of Sacramento.

The work to be done will include rehabilitation of the M and G Street bridge

structures, creek channel, and roadways to fix deteriorated conditions and add upgrades to comply with new standards. There will be some traffic disruptions during the construction work.

The Council will meet in closed session at 5:45 p.m. to discuss anticipated litigation and the performance evaluations of the city manager and the finance director.

City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City's web site at Videos of previous meetings can be found at that link, and are tied to each agenda item. Those services are in addition to the live broadcast of the regular meeting on Comcast's Government Channel 96.

The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak forms are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council.

Return to full list >>