News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Council meeting is Tuesday due to holiday

Mike Conway

Post Date:01/13/2017

Bridge funding, traffic study money on Council agenda

Grant funds for bridge repairs and money for an engineering and traffic study are on the agenda for consideration during Tuesday night's Merced City Council meeting.

The Council will meet at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, (City Hall) 678 W. 18th St. The Council normally meets on the first and third Mondays of the month, however because of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday the meeting was moved to Tuesday.

The Council has approved a project to repair the bridges at G and M Streets that cross Bear Creek. The roadway overlay need replaced, barriers need to be installed, erosion controls need to be improved and the bridges need to be made compliable with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Bids opened in August for the project were over the engineer's estimate. Staff secured $1,298,482 in additional federal grants that Council is being asked to accept at the meeting. Total cost of the project will be $3,735,715.

State law requires a speed zone study to be conducted every seven years to determine appropriate speeds for the City's streets. The engineering and traffic speed survey also allows the enforcement of traffic laws through the use of radar. The study is expected to cost $100,000.

The Council will meet in closed session at 5:45 p.m. to discuss existing litigation and the performance evaluations of the city manager and the finance director.

City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City's web site at Videos of previous meetings can be found at that link, and are tied to each agenda item. Those services are in addition to the live broadcast of the regular meeting on Comcast's Government Channel 96.

The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak forms are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council.

Return to full list >>