News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Council meets Tuesday night because of MLK Day holiday

Mike Conway

Post Date:01/16/2015

Merced City Council to consider grant for water meters

The Merced City Council will consider a grant application to install water meters for City residents at its Tuesday meeting.

The Council normally meets on the second Monday of the month but the meeting was held on Tuesday because of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. The Council will meet at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, 678 W. 18th St.

The City is considering a $2,613,468 water-energy grant that would fund water meters for the City's water customers paying a flat rate. About half of the 20,900 water accounts do not have water meters and their water use is higher on a per capita basis than those with meters.

Installation of the meters would be by City crews. It is expected that the meters would result in approximately 1,823 million gallons of water being saved each year. The City would provide a $842,694 match.

Also on the agenda is a contract with the Merced Zoological Society to contribute at least $85,000 to the City for the operation of the Applegate Park Zoo. The funds amount to approximately 41 percent of the total operating budget of the Zoo. The society raises the money through entrance fees, fundraisers and items sold at the gift shop.

A closed session will be held at 5:15 p.m. to confer with labor negotiators regarding firefighters, police and police sergeants, potential litigation and appointment of a city attorney.

City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City's home page at The City will also add the Council video to YouTube for people that were unable to watch it live. These services are in addition to the live broadcast of the regular meeting on Comcast's Government Channel 96.

The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak forms are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council.

Return to full list >>