News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Stephen Leonard Park grant is bigger than expected

Mike Conway

Post Date:01/02/2015

Merced City Council to consider park grant, Downtown contract

The Stephen Leonard Park grant is back before the City Council Monday night, but this time the funding is bigger than the last time the grant went before Council.

The Council will meet at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, 678 W. 18th St.

When the City Council approved the original resolution requesting the park grant funds, it was for $719,467.50. Since then, the state has said the City is eligible for $828,775, an increase of $109,307.50.

The grant funding is based on the low and moderate income housing projects that the City has completed, including the Woodbridge Apartment Complex and the Gateway Terrace Apartments. The grant funds will convert the pool into a splash park, add a skate park, shade structure, picnic tables, security cameras, lighting, bike racks and barbeques.

The Council also will consider a professional services agreement with the Merced Main Street Association focusing on safety, security, cleanliness, maintenance and events. The City has been providing the services since September 2001 when it took over for the Merced Downtown Association.

The Council will hold a study session at approximately 6 p.m. to discuss possibilities for the pretreatment of industrial wastewater.

A closed session will be held at 5 p.m. to confer with labor negotiators regarding firefighters, police and police sergeants.

City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City's home page at www.cityofmerced.orgThe City will also add the Council video to YouTube for people that were unable to watch it live. These services are in addition to the live broadcast of the regular meeting on Comcast's Government Channel 96.

The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak forms are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council.

Return to full list >>