City of Merced<BR>News<BR>ReleaseCity of Merced
City of Merced
Merced Civic Center
678 West 18th Street
Merced, California 95340


Subject :Council meets Monday to consider zoo contract, hold hearing on fees
Contact :Mike Conway    209-385-6232

The Merced City Council will consider dates for town hall meetings in 2014, an agreement with the Merced Zoological Society for the operation of Applegate Park Zoo and conduct a public hearing on development impact fees at the Monday night meeting.

The regular City Council meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, 678 W. 18th St.

The Merced Zoological Society has contracted to assist the City with operating the Applegate Park Zoo since 1994 using gate receipts, gift shop sales and fundraisers. The current contract calls for the Society to raise $85,000 -- approximately 44 percent of the zoo’s operating budget -- which will be used to offset expenses such as animal health, supplies, landscaping and staff costs.

Council has been holding Town Hall meetings in the north and south areas of Merced for two years. The Council is being asked to select dates to hold the meetings next year, along with dates for budget and planning sessions.

As part of Assembly Bill 1600, the City is required to make a report every year on developer fees that haven’t been spent on public improvements. The report includes what the money is earmarked for, how much was collected and when the funds are expected to be spent.

City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City’s home page at The City will also add the Council video to YouTube for people that were unable to watch it live. These services are in addition to the live broadcast of the meeting on the Comcast’s Government Channel 96.  

The Council will meet in closed session at 6:30 p.m. to confer with legal counsel regarding initiating litigation and existing litigation.


The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak cards are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council.