City of Merced<BR>News<BR>ReleaseCity of Merced
City of Merced
Merced Civic Center
678 West 18th Street
Merced, California 95340


Subject :Council considers park grant, well funds
Contact :Mike Conway    209-385-6232

The Merced City Council will consider applying for a grant to improve Stephen Leonard Park and a professional services agreement to design a new well at the Monday night meeting.


The regular City Council meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, 678 W. 18th St.


The City is eligible for a $719,467.50 Housing Related Park Grant from the California Department of Housing and Community Development. The grant does not require any City matching funds.


Staff has recommended using the funds to improve Stephen Leonard Park by adding a skate park, splash park, restroom building, new playground equipment, climbing rocks, security cameras and bike racks, The project would include benches, lights, drinking fountains, building repair and painting, sprinkler controllers, tables, trees and new sidewalks.


Council also is being asked to consider a $470,589 agreement with Luhdorff and Scalmanini Consulting Engineers for well design services. The City is installing a drinking water well on its property at Tyler Road and Mission Avenue and the firm will provide a test boring and other services.


City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City’s home page at The City will also add the Council video to YouTube for people that were unable to watch it live. These services are in addition to the live broadcast of the meeting on the Comcast’s Government Channel 96.  


A special meeting of the Council will be held at 6 p.m. to meet in closed session to confer with legal counsel for the initiation of litigation. The Council will meet in closed session at 6:30 p.m. to confer with legal counsel regarding initiating litigation and to confer with labor negotiators.


The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak cards are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council.