City of Merced<BR>News<BR>ReleaseCity of Merced
City of Merced
Merced Civic Center
678 West 18th Street
Merced, California 95340


Subject :Council meets Monday night in Civic Center
Contact :Mike Conway    209-385-6232

Pepsi building sale back on City Council agenda


The proposed sale of former Pepsi Bottling plant will be considered by the Merced City Council during its Monday meeting.

The Council will meet at 7 p.m. in the Council chambers on the second floor of the Merced Civic Center, 678 W. 18th St.

Sun Valley Nut of Turlock has offered to buy the former Pepsi Bottling plant at 1 West Avenue in the Airport Industrial Park for $1.143 million. Pepsi used the property from 1969 through 2010, employing 42 people in the 134,304 square-foot facility. Sun Valley plans to turn the property into an almond processing plant that would employ 75 people. The item had been on the agenda in February but the company pulled it off because it had some questions regarding water supply.

Also on the agenda, Council will consider reimbursing the Merced Union High School District $283,457 for traffic signal improvements and $337,107 for roadway improvements during construction of El Capitan High School. The district built the improvements on a scale larger than were needed for the high school to accommodate future growth in the area, so it is being reimbursed from a fund of development fees.


There will be a closed session at 6 p.m. to confer with legal counsel regarding existing litigation and to confer with labor negotiators.


City Council meetings are streamed live on the Internet. A link to the live meeting is on the City’s home page at The City will also add the Council video to YouTube for people that were unable to watch it live. These services are in addition to the live broadcast of the meeting on Comcast’s Government Channel 96.  


The Council agenda is posted online at and is available outside the chambers prior to the meeting. Request to Speak cards are available at the meeting or can be downloaded from the City's website. Cards must be turned in to the City Clerk in order for a person to be recognized by the Council.