We believe that Customer Service is not a department....it's an attitude.
Inspection Services’ mission is to provide reliable and conscientious service to both our internal and external customers in a prompt, accurate, professional and efficient manner.
Service is the lifeblood of any organization. Everything flows from it and is nourished by it.
Coronavirus UPDATE 5/18/20 Information:
We are now open to the public 8:00 am-Noon and 1:00 pm-5:00 pm M-F following COVD-19 protocols.
We are also encouraging electronic permit application submittals, payment and permit issuance following the established process below:
- Apply for permits electronically by sending an application to: email@example.com
- Applications may be found on our website:
- Once an application is received, you will be contacted with further instructions by inspection staff
- If you are wishing to pay for and pick up a permit, you may do so by calling 209-385-4773 **Additional fees apply for credit card payment
- Mailing payments (check, cashiers check or money order, no cash, please), include the email sent to you by inspection services that includes your permit information
- Once a payment is received and the permit is approved for issuance, a staff member will email you your permit and related documents for printing that will need to be on the job site for inspection
- Inspection process has not changed: call our automated request line at 209-723-2489 by 4:00 the previous business day (If you need your inspection Monday, call by 4:00 pm Friday)
- Inspections performed M-F 8:00 am-Noon and 1:00 pm-4:00 pm
In order to facilitate the number of inspectors needed to complete inspections on a given day, the City of Merced Inspection Services Department is requiring that you CALL IN YOUR INSPECTIONS BY 4:00PM THE BUSINESS DAY PRIOR TO YOUR INSPECTION. (Example: Need your inspection on Monday, call the previous Friday by 4:00)
Common Questions for New 2019 Code Change Submittals
(Including Single Family Dwelling with MASTER plans):
What date do we need to submit permits by in order to fall under the current code?
December 30th our last working day-Submit complete plan, application and plot plan. *Make sure your Fire Sprinkler and Solar contractors submit before this date as well. Ahead of time is better as we can’t do everyone’s in a couple days. We tell people to start submitting in October.
After the fee sheets are generated and permits are ready, what date do we need to have the permits pulled to fall under the current code?
You have 180 days to pull permit after City approval.
How long do we have after the permit is pulled until the permit expires?
Once Permits are pulled, you have 12 months for inspection otherwise is considered abandon. No extensions beyond this. If you change the square footage, this will be considered a new submittal.
2019 Climatic and Geographical Design Criteria
- Wind Speed: Risk Catergory I: 100, Category II: Vault 110, Vasd 85, Categaory III Vult 115, Vasd 85
- Wind Exposure: B Urban and Suburban, C in any quadrant for a distance of more than 600 feet
- Seismic Design Category: DO
- Weathering: Negligible, Winter design temp. 25 degrees F
- Air Freezing Index: 1500, mean annual temp 60 degrees F
- For Flood Hazard refer to FEMA website
Electronic Plan Review
The City of Merced Inspection Services Division requires electronic submittals in pdf format, including permit application and all support documents.
Refer to the Electronic Plan Review page for full details.
Helpful ADA Information for Business Owners
- California Commission on Disability Access
- Certified Access Specialist
- Myths and Facts About the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Why Should I Hire a CASp
- Access Quicksheet
- ADA lawsuit primer final
FEMA: Get the most current information including LOMA and LOMR direct from the FEMA wesite!
Residential Master Plans are now being accepted! Refer to Residential Master Plan submittal folder downloads and criteria.
Permit Refund & Renewal Policy: Refer to permit fees tab.
Handy Tips and Brochures: View the building safety brochures and handouts folder.