Parking Citation Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City of Merced issues parking citations only. All other citations (moving violations, etc.) are handled at the Merced County Superior Court - Traffic Division, (209) 725-4107 (9:00am to 4:00pm).

Who Do I Contact With Questions On a Parking Citation?

For questions regarding a parking citation issued within the City of Merced:

By phone: (800) 989-2058

By Mail:

City of Merced
Citation Processing Center
PO Box 10479
Newport Beach, CA 92658-0479

Or on the website at

Can a Parking Citation be reduced?

The following violations are correctable:

  • CVC 4000(A)
  • CVC 4457
  • CVC 5200
  • CVC 5201
  • CVC 5204(A)

In order to reduce the ticket you will need to correct the violation and have a Police Officer sign the back of your ticket. If the violation is corrected within 21 days of the violation date it will be reduced to $10.00. The citation and payment need to be sent in, in order to clear the ticket.

How Can I Pay For a Parking Citation?

You can pay by check or money order by mailing the payment and the citation to:

City of Merced
Citation Processing Center
PO Box 10479
Newport Beach, CA 92658-0479

Or with a credit card at

How Do I Appeal a Parking Citation?

Submit a written letter, or a completed copy of the “Request for Administrative Review – Investigation of Parking Violation", with supporting documentation, such as pictures, drawings, etc. detailing the appeal, within 21 days of the citation's issue date.

Send all letters and documentation to:

City of Merced
Citation Processing Center
PO Box 10479
Newport Beach, CA 92658-0479

OR appeal on line at the website

The "penalty clock" stops until the citation is reviewed. There will be NO additional penalties assessed during the review period. No appeals will be accepted after the citation liens (35 days from date of issue).

What Happens After I Appeal a Parking Citation?

  • The citation will be reviewed and a field investigation will be done, if required.
  • You will be notified of the citation's status by mail at the vehicles registered address.
  • The citation will be either "Cancel Parking violation" or "Do Not Cancel Parking Violation".
  • If the citation is not cancelled, you must pay the full amount of the fine within 21 days from the date on the appeal form.
  • If the citation is cancelled, no further action is required. If payment has been made, a refund will be processed.
  • If the citation is not cancelled and you wish to appeal further, an Administrative Hearing (below) may be requested.

What is an Administrative Hearing?

  • An Administrative Hearing is an opportunity to have your appeal reviewed by an independent Hearing Officer.
  • To request an Administrative Hearing:
  • Return by mail the Result of Administrative Review and the full fine amount, within 21 days of the date on the notice to:
    City of Merced
    Citation Processing Center
    PO Box 10479
    Newport Beach, Ca 92658-0479
  • You will then be contacted to schedule the Administrative Hearing.

Indigent Payment Plans

Low-Income Determination for AB 503 & AB 2544

A person is “indigent” if they meet any of the following conditions:

  1. Meets the income criteria set forth in Gov. Code section 68632(b) (monthly income is 125% or less of current federal poverty guideline).
  2. The person receives public benefits from any of the programs listed in Gov. Code section 68632(a).

Government Code Section 68632 section (a):

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • California Work Opportunity (Cal Works)
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)
  • County Relief, General Relief (GR) or General Assistance (GA)
  • In-Home Support Services (IHSS)
  • Medi-Cal

Government Code Section 68632 section (b):

An Applicant whose monthly income is 125 percent or less of the current poverty guideline updated periodically in the Federal Register by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.

Proof of Indigence – Documentation

The person may demonstrate that he or she is indigent by providing either the following information, as applicable:

  1. Proof of income from any of the sources in section 68632(a), proof of receipt will consist of a copy of the most recent benefit check stubs or statements, or most recent Verification of Benefits form, or most recent Notice of Action (Approval) Letter or most recent Award Letter.
  2. Proof of income from a pay stub or another form of proof of earnings, such as a bank statement that shows the individual meets the income criteria set forth in section 68632(b).
  3. If the person has no income or does not receive Public Assistance, a copy of their yearly earnings from the Social Security Department is required for proof.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer