Volunteers in Police Services are dedicated to providing Volunteer services as needed, and are committed to providing quality service to the men and women of the Merced Police Department. These volunteer services will be based on promoting trust, confidence, and open communication in order to establish a partnership between the Police Department and volunteer staff. By using volunteers, the Merced Police Department may increase the scope and type of services offered to the City of Merced.
What are VIPS?
Volunteers In Police Service are community members volunteering their time as supplements to all phases of police operations. This allows police personnel to focus on the growing needs of our community. VIPS are unarmed, uniformed volunteers, active in community service and making Merced a safer, more enjoyable place to live and work.
What Do VIPS Do?
The Merced Police Department has many openings for volunteers with an interest in any of the programs listed below:
- Police Citizen Patrol
- Vacation House Checks
- Graffiti Abatement
- Vehicle Abatement
- Inter-Department Volunteers
- Neighborhood Watch
- Community Relations
If you have an interest in serving your community, come and join our team of professional individuals who are here to help our community.
How Do I Apply?
All applicants must fill out an application and submit it to the Merced Police Department. Then all applications will be screened and evaluated.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and possess education equivalent to a high school diploma.
- Applicants must fill out a Personal History Statement to allow the Police Department to conduct a background investigation. Applicants will not be considered if they have been convicted of a felony or a crime of violence. All applicants will be finger printed to check for criminal history.
- Applicants should be of good moral character and reputation.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate good judgment and possess skills and ability, which will benefit functions of the Merced Police Department to the satisfaction of the Chief of Police.
- Applicants must live or work in Merced County.
- A copy of the applicant’s driver license and proof of auto insurance must be submitted with the personal history statement.
- Applicants may be required to submit a letter from their physician stating they are qualified to perform assigned tasks.
- Applicants may be considered if their doctor so stipulates, depending on the needs of the department. Applicants will also submit an emergency contact information form.
- If you feel you would fit our organization and goals and are interested in helping the community, please fill out the application and forward to the police department. We would love to hear from you.