There are over 636 lineal miles of sidewalk throughout the City of Merced. Public Works strives to provide quality and professionalism while maintaining the sidewalks in a safe and reliable condition.
Problem Areas Identified
- Customer reports a damaged sidewalk.
- City Staff identifies damage during daily work schedule.
- Damages may also be identified by staff during routine inspection of a customer request or when other divisions, i.e. Tree & Utility Crews identify the need during other maintenance operations.
Inspection After Identification
- Once a complaint or request is received into the Public Works office, a work order is generated.
- Each work order is inspected to determine the extent of damage.
- After determining the severity of the hazard, work will be scheduled either with other work in the area or scheduled to be repaired as a single repair project. A temporary ramp will be installed or shaved until permanent repairs can be made.
- Every possible attempt is made to contact customer to inform them of the decision made after inspection.
- Every effort will be made to include as many damaged sites within a two-block radius to maximize use of staff and equipment.
Repair Method & Standards
- Removal of damaged concrete sidewalk.
- Root pruning if needed.
- Replacement of sidewalk to meet City Engineering Standard SCG-I