To report graffiti, call 385-8807.
PROFILE OF A GRAFFITI VANDAL
- 11 to 26 years old
- Mostly high school age, 13 to 18 years old
- Majority is male
- All ethnic backgrounds
- All economic and social backgrounds
- Often very organized
- View tagging as an extreme sport rather than a crime
- Computer literate
- Most are discouraged from further activity after first SERIOUS police contact
- Those not discouraged move on to more serious crimes (carjacking, burglaries, arson, etc)
- Associates with skaters, party crews, ravers and sometimes gangs
- Low self-esteem or looking to belong
- Believe this is a freedom of expression (1st Amendment)
- Looking for notoriety or fame (egotistic)
- Extreme loyalty to other taggers
- Views police as the adversary in a game
TOOLS USED BY GRAFFITI VANDALS
TYPES OF GRAFFITI VANDALISM
Studies have shown that if graffiti is removed within 12 hours after it is applied, there is only a 5% chance of re-occurrence.
Education is the key to combating this CRIME.
We're all in this together, Merced.