What are V.I.P.S
Volunteers In Police Service are community members volunteering their time as supplements to all phases of police operations. This allows police personnel to focus on the growing needs of our community. V.I.P.S are unarmed, uniformed volunteers, active in community service and making Merced a safer, more enjoyable place to live and work.
McGruff with a Merced Police Department Vehicle helps take a bite out of crime
How Do I Apply?
All applicants must fill out an application and submit it to the Merced Police Department. Then all applications will be screened and evaluated.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and possess education equivalent to a high school diploma.
- Applicants must fill out a Personal History Statement to allow the Police Department to conduct a background investigation. Applicants will not be considered if they have been convicted of a felony or a crime of violence. All applicants will be finger printed to check for criminal history.
- Applicants should be of good moral character and reputation.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate good judgment and possess skills and ability, which will benefit functions of the Merced Police Department to the satisfaction of the Chief of Police.
- Applicants must live or work in Merced County.
- A copy of the applicant’s drivers license and proof of auto insurance must be submitted with the personal history statement.
- Applicants may be required to submit a letter from their physician stating they are qualified to perform assigned tasks.
- Applicants may be considered if their doctor so stipulates, depending on the needs of the department. Applicants will also submit an emergency contact information form.
- If you feel you would fit our organization and goals and are interested in helping the community please fill out the application and forward to the police department. We would love to hear from you.
V.I.P.S | What Do VIPS Do? | How To Apply | VIPS Videos