FAQ / Customer Service

Public Works provides a wide variety of services to the public including garbage disposal (refuse), street sweeping, water, and sewer - amongst others.  

Our office staff is available Monday - Friday, from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. 

To quickly reach us for assistance:
Phone:  (209) 385-6800
E-mail:  publicwks@cityofmerced.org

For after-hours urgent Public Works matters, please contact police dispatch at (209) 385-6905.

*  If your trash has been missed, it is best to call our office at (209) 385-6800, then press 1. 
    Please call the same day or next business day by noon to ensure availability of staff to return.

If you notice a street light out, click here for more information.

For Refuse Rates, click here.

For Water Rates, click here.

For Sewer Rates, click here.

To see the current Leaf Collection information, click here.

* To report an area of Bike Paths that need maintenance, click here.

Click here for questions about our Waste Water Treatment Plant or call (209) 385-6892.

*  To report a downed tree limb or hanging limb about to fall, call our office right away at (209) 385-6800, option 4.

*  If you notice a pothole or road hazard, contact our Street Division at (209) 385-6800, option 3.

*  To report water being wasted, call 388-SAVE.

*  To report a water leak or other water problem, call (209) 385-6800, option 2.

*  To start or stop water, sewer, and garbage services, contact the Finance Department at (209) 385-6841.




How do we know the water in Merced is safe?

    We know that the water is safe because we conduct routine testing, as required by State of California regulations. The sampling results are published annually in the City of Merced’s Consumer Confidence Report (CCR). 

How often does City water get tested?

    Tests are conducted every work day. 

What is the water tested for?

    Everything that we test for can be found in our CCR.

Who is monitoring the City?

    The City is monitored by and reports to the State Department of Water Resources, State Water Resources Control Board, and we must follow all State and Federal drinking water regulations.

How do we know our City water workers know what they are doing?

    The water technicians must pass and maintain their Water Distribution & Treatment Operator certificates, which are administered by the State Water Resources Control Board.  Click here for information on Operator Certification.


How do I read my meter?

    Click here to find out how to read your meter.

What is Eye On Water?

     EyeOnWater gives our water customers, via a mobile app or website, direct access to their own water usage data and provides tools to help manage their water usage. 

How much does a gallon of water cost?

    Less than one cent!  Check out Water Math for more details.

How much water is included in my base water rate?

    30 Hundred cubic feet, which is equal to 22,440 gallons.

How much does it cost if I go over my base monthly rate?

    Each 748 gallons or portion of is $0.87. 


What are my watering days?

    Addresses ending in even numbers may water on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

    Addresses ending in odd numbers may water on Wednesdays and Sundays.

    Watering is allowed before 9 a.m. and/or after 9 p.m. on those days.

Can I water my new lawn every day?

    You may get a permit from the Public Works office to water new lawn daily,     except for Mondays.

When are we going to get to water three days per week again?

    May 2018.

What do I do if my neighbor is overwatering?

    To report Water Waste, call 388-HELP or 388-7283.

Who do I report broken sprinklers in a City park or strip to?

    You can use 388-HELP or call the Public Works office at 385-6800

How can I learn more about conservation?                   

    Check out our conservation page by Clicking Here.

For more questions, please e-mail us at publicwks@cityofmerced.org