|Click here to receive an email when changes are made to this page.
How to Save Water 101
* Use drip irrigation for trees, shrubs, and flowers; saves 15 gallons/each time you water.
* Plant drought-resistant trees and plants; saves 30-60 gallons/each time you water/1,000 sq ft.
* Use a broom to clean driveways, sidewalks, and patios; saves 8-18 gallons/minute.
* Check your sprinkler system frequently and adjust so that you don’t have run-off; saves 15 gallons/each time you water.
* Place a layer of organic mulch around trees and plants, it helps reduce evaporation and prevents weeds; saves 20-30 gallons/each time you water/1,000 sq. ft.
* Turn off the shower water while washing your hair; saves up to 150 gallons a month.
* Turn off the faucet when brushing teeth or shaving; saves 10 gallons/day.
* Install faucet aerators on the kitchen faucet to reduce the flows to less than 1 gallon per minute.
* Keep toilets and water fixtures in good repair and fix leaks promptly.
* A new water efficient dishwasher can save 3-8 gallons per load.
For more water efficient practices, check out www.saveourwater.com To report water being wasted, call 388-SAVE. Or check us out at www.cityofmerced.org or Like us on Facebook at City of Merced: Water Conservation.
Addresses ending in 2, 4, 6, 8, or 0, Water on Tuesdays & Saturdays
Addresses ending in 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9, Water on Wednesdays & Sundays
And the window of hours to water are midnight to 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. to midnight; the best time for your lawn is early in the morning.
Remember to turn off the sprinklers when it rains.
For more information or questions, check out the City’s website at www.cityofmerced.org or call the Public Works Water Department at 385-6800. And keep your eye on these Green Tips articles for future water savings advice and information.
To report water being wasted call 388-SAVE.