Public Works Sidewalk Identification & Repair Program
There are over 636 lineal miles of sidewalk throughout the City of Merced. Public Works strives to provide quality and professionalism while maintaining the sidewalks in a safe and reliable condition.
Problem Areas Identified:
1. Customer reports a damaged sidewalk.
2. City Staff identifies damage during daily work schedule.
3. Damages may also be identified by staff during routine inspection of a customer request or when other divisions, i.e. Tree & Utility Crews identify the need during other maintenance operations.
Inspection After Identification
1. Once a complaint or request is received into the Public Works office, a work order is generated.
2. Each work order is inspected to determine the extent of damage.
3. After determining the severity of the hazard, work will be scheduled either with other work in the area or scheduled to be repaired as a single repair project. A temporary ramp will be installed or shaved until permanent repairs can be made.
4. Every possible attempt is made to contact customer to inform them of the decision made after inspection.
5. Every effort will be made to include as many damaged sites within a two-block radius to maximize use of staff and equipment.
Repair Method & Standards
1. Removal of damaged concrete sidewalk.
2. Root pruning if needed.
3. Replacement of sidewalk to meet City Engineering Standard SCG-I