Public Works Questions

Where in the street is my sewer lateral?

Sometimes we can tell you approximately where your sewer lateral is located within the street right-of-way. If we cannot provide you with an approximate location, we will help you make contact with someone who can. This will usually require a contractor or sewer lateral video service to field locate your lateral…you can usually expect to pay a fee for this service. Call us at 209-385-6841

How deep is my sewer lateral?

We can calculate approximate depth, based on our sewer plat maps. Call us at 209-385-6846.

How do we know the water in Merced is safe?

We know that the water is safe because we conduct routine testing, as required by State of California regulations. The sampling results are published annually in the City of Merced’s Consumer Confidence Report (CCR).

How often does City water get tested?

Tests are conducted every work day.

What is the water tested for?

Everything that we test for can be found in our CCR.

Who is monitoring the City?

The City is monitored by and reports to the State Department of Water Resources, State Water Resources Control Board, and we must follow all State and Federal drinking water regulations.

How do we know our City water workers know what they are doing?

The water technicians must pass and maintain their Water Distribution & Treatment Operator certificates, which are administered by the State Water Resources Control Board. Click here for information on Operator Certification.

How do I read my meter?

Click here to find out how to read your meter.

What is Eye On Water?

EyeOnWater gives our water customers, via a mobile app or website, direct access to their own water usage data and provides tools to help manage their water usage.

How much does a gallon of water cost?

Less than one cent! Check out Water Math for more details.

How much water is included in my base water rate?

30 Hundred cubic feet, which is equal to 22,440 gallons.

How much does it cost if I go over my base monthly rate?

Each 748 gallons or portion of is $0.87

What are my watering days?

Addresses ending in even numbers may water on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Addresses ending in odd numbers may water on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Watering is allowed before 9 a.m. and/or after 9 p.m. on those days.

Can I water my new lawn every day?

You may get a permit from the Public Works office to water new lawn daily, except for Mondays.

When are we going to get to water three days per week again?

May 2018

What do I do if my neighbor is overwatering?

To report Water Waste, call 388-HELP or 388-7283.

Who do I report broken sprinklers in a City park or strip to?

You can use 388-HELP or call the Public Works office at 385-6800

How can I learn more about conservation?

Check out our conservation page by Clicking Here.