General Questions

How do I apply for a job with the City of Merced?

Each recruitment is open for a certain filing period, and employment applications are accepted during that period.  You must fill out a City of Merced employment application.  You may obtain one from our website, in person at our office at 678 West 18th Street, Merced, CA 95340, or you can request an application by mail.  Completed applications must be turned into the Personnel Office no later than 5:00 p.m. of the final filing date.  (Postmarks are not acceptable). Following the final filing date applications are reviewed and letters are mailed out notifying the applicants of the status of their application.  For those who are invited to continue in the testing process, the letter will outline the details (written examination, oral board interview etc.)

Do you have maps, topographic information, building plans…for my house?

Sometimes. Since each case is different we need to speak to you about your specific needs before we can provide you with information or recommend where you might find what you are looking for. Call the Inspection Services Division at 209-385-6861 as they deal with private developments.

If I dig in my parkway, should I call someone first?

Yes... Call Underground Service alert (USA) 1-(800)-642-2444.

What is the size of my water meter?

Call the Finance Department Utility Billing @ 385-6861.

When digging in my parkway I found a pipe…what is it and who can I call?

Call Underground Service alert (USA) 1-(800)-642-2444.

Where is my front property line (the right-of-way line)? Where are my property lines? Do you have a map of my lot? How wide is the street right-of-way?

Call the Planning Department at 385-6858 or Engineering at 209-385-6846

City tree limbs have fallen in the street/in my yard

Call the Public Works Department to report it at 385-6800.  After 4:30 or on the weekends call the non-emergency Police Department line at 385-6905.

I want to report someone wasting water.

Call the Water Waste line to report it at 388-SAVE or e-mail us at

For more information about Water Conservation, click the link below.

Tree roots are lifting up the sidewalk, what can I do?

Call or e-mail the Public Works Department to report it at 385-6800 or